February 27, 2011

Buttermilk Pie ???

Today I posted on my face book that I had a buttermilk pie in the oven. I ended up with a couple of responses with...What the heck is Buttermilk Pie?

Funny ;-)

Well, to be honest this was my first time making it...and before today, my first time eating it! I got the idea from a very old cook book that goes with my old Home Comfort Cook stove.

It sounded very old-fashioned and interesting. It's a snow day, so why not make it today.



I do not normally have buttermilk in the house and the last time I even remember drinking it, I was probably around 5 years old. My Grandpa Baker let me have a sip of his and I could have sworn he was crazy for drinking sour milk...I wasn't impressed...to say the least!

Turns out the pie has sort of a custard type texture, it is sweet and tastes nothing like Buttermilk.

Here is the recipe I used...

Buttermilk Pie Recipe
1 unbaked Pie crust in a 9" pie plate
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
3 Tbs. Flour
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla



Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place unbaked pie crust in 9-inch pie plate.



Line pastry with a layer of foil. Bake 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 4 to 6 minutes more or until crust is lightly browned; cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.



In saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in sugars and flour. Remove from heat; set aside.



In mixing bowl beat eggs with electric mixer on medium speed for about 1 minute. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla. Gradually whisk buttermilk mixture into butter mixture until smooth. Pour into prebaked crust.



Place pie on oven rack; carefully tent whole pie with foil that was used to line the pie shell.



Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until center is set when gently shaken.



Cool on wire rack for 1 hour.



Cover; refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving. Makes 8 servings.



The consensus is in... My Family LOVES Buttermilk Pie!

Happy Baking Day!


:-)

1 comment:

The Simple Girl said...

Oh Buttermilk Pie! I know those reactions from people when I talk about it. There eyes squint as if to say "ewww". That is until they try it, and they find a new love. :P