January 8, 2012

Blackberry Scones



Blackberry Scones.....Oh, so yummy! I have been making scones for my family for some time, and they...Love them! Usually, I just make regular scones...but today I decided to add Blackberries to change things up a bit.

Blackberry Scones

oven temp 400ยบ
Makes 8 scones

Prep time 20 minutes
cook time 10 minutes
ready in 30 minutes

(Dry Phase)
1 3/4 C. all purpose Flour
3 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Cream of Tartar
1/4 C. Sugar
1/8 tsp. Salt

1/2 C. Butter

(Wet Phase)
1/2 C. Milk
1/4 C. Sour Cream

Fresh, Frozen or canned Blackberries
( I used Wilderness brand Blackberry pie filling because that is what we had in the Pantry)

(Egg wash)
1 egg
1 Tb. Milk

(Glazing)
1 tsp. Clear Vanilla
1/2 C. Powdered Sugar
1 TB. Milk

Sift first 5 dry ingredients into a bowl and cut in butter until well blended and set aside.

In a  small bowl or measuring cup whisk together sour cream and Milk. Pour wet mixture all at once over dry mixture and gently mix.
I use my kitchen aide mixer.

Do not over mix!

I used about 1/4 C. Canned Blackberry Pie filling  and gently folded into dough mixture.

Place dough mixture onto floured surface and pat into  a wheel shape the size of  a dinner plate. Cut into 8 even slices like a pizza. place onto baking sheet.

 Whisk egg and milk and brush tops of scones. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before placing in the oven.

Place scones in preheated oven until tops are golden brown. The scones only take 10 minutes in my oven. 

Remove from oven and place on a wire rack. Brush tops with powdered sugar Glaze. 

Serve warm and enjoy!

No comments: