March 10, 2012

Dirt brownies

I found a soil block maker at a yard sale last fall and couldn't wait to try it! I have eyed them in the past, but there was no way I was going to spend that kind of money on one. I figured $2 was worth the gamble.

( Tom Thumb Lettuce Sprout )

The thought of growing seeds in compressed soil blocks with no more piles of  plastic pots everywhere...no need to disturb the roots...how could this not work?

I did a quick search on the Internet and found YouTube to be a great source of visual information on how to use the soil blocker, soil recipes, tips and results.

Turns out the potting soil has to be pretty wet, to form the blocks, and it's a good idea to keep spacing between the blocks in the trays as the air circulation inhibits the roots from growing into each other.

I ended up just using a pre-made organic potting soil mix from Whitney Farms. It worked perfect and is holding up good.
I have been happily making dirt brownies!

( Ailsa Craig Onion Seedling )

The blocks surprisingly stay together and can be picked up, moved around, and do not fall apart.!
I am excited with the results and look forward to growing more starts this way.


No comments: